Antes de que empieces
Blind baking, or baking a pie crust without the filling, helps to ensure the end product is crisp and flaky. Cook and cool the onions completely, before adding to the filling. This helps to remove the extra water from the onions that would otherwise negatively affect the consistency of your filling.
Método de Preparación
TO PREPARE CRUST
1. Combine flour and kosher salt together, cut the butter into the flour by hand or with a food processor until pea-size pieces form.
2. Add in the ice water and mix until a dough forms.
3. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times to smooth the dough.
4. Flatten into a disk, wrap with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
5. After an hour, roll out the dough and place in a 9-inch pie shell.
6. Trim the edges to ¼ inch from the edge of the pie pan, roll under and press down around the edge of the pan.
7. Chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
8. While the dough chills, preheat the oven to 400°F Bake Mode with a rack set at position “3.”
9. After 30 minutes, line the unbaked pie crust with parchment and add pie weights or dry beans (about 2 cups) so the bottom doesn't puff and the sides don't slouch during baking.
10. Blind bake the crust for 25 minutes, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before filling with the custard.
TO ASSEMBLE AND BAKE
1. Reduce the heat of the oven to 350°F Bake Mode with rack still set at position “3.”
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and heavy cream until smooth.
3. Add in the kosher salt, pepper, and herbs; mix to combine.
4. In even layers add the onions, cheese, and ham to the bottom of the precooked pie shell.
5. Carefully pour the custard over the filling. Bake the quiche for 40–45 minutes, or until the quiche is set.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.